Low Triglycerides Diet
Triglycerides are literally oil in the blood.
Just like Cholesterol, having a high level of Triglycerides in your blood can lead to many health problems.
The good news is it is a lot easier to control your Triglycerides with diet than it is your cholesterol.
Read on for foods you need to avoid and foods you need to eat more of.
Foods to be AVOIDED
- Saturated fats eg lard, cooking (hard) margarine, coconut and palm oils, mayonnaise, butter
- Fatty meats eg bacon, ham, sausages salami, canned meats, meat paste, hamburger mince
- Poultry eg duck, goose, skin of chicken and turkey
- Organ meats eg brain, liver, pate, liverwurst, kidney, sweetbreads
- Seafood eg prawns, crabs, squid, fish roe, caviar, canned fish in oil
- Whole egg or egg yolk
- Whole milk, cream, sour cream, cheese
- Bakery food eg pies, pastries, cakes, doughnuts, biscuits, muffins, sweet rolls, corn bread, pancakes, waffles, French toast
- Fast food eg fried chicken, chips, fish, spring rolls, pizza
- Nuts eg cashews, macadamia nuts, roasted nuts, brazil nuts, peanuts (& peanut butter)
- Beverages eg malted milk and chocolate drinks, alcohol (except in small amounts)
- Sweets eg chocolate and toffees, desserts containing fat or egg yolk
- Ice cream, ice milk and whipped toppings
- Gravies, potato crisps, caramel, chocolate, butterscotch, coffee whitener or other cream substitutes, coconut, jams
- Syrups, honey and sugar
- Cream soups
- Buttered, creamed or fried vegetables
- Salad dressings containing cheese
- Cooking methods such as frying and roasting in fat
- Polyunsaturated fats eg polyunsaturated margarine, salad dressings, vegetable oils such as olive, corn, soya bean, sunflower oil
- Lean meats eg lean pork, beef, lamb and ham
- Poultry eg chicken and turkey (lean and without skin)
- Seafood eg fresh fish
- Egg whites
- Low-fat milk, skim milk and its products, cottage and ricotta cheese, non-fat yoghurt
- Bakery food eg whole wheat, rye or white bread, saltines and graham crackers
- Beverages eg tea, coffee and unsweetened fruit juices, diet soft drinks
- Rice, pasta, cereals, herbs, spices, vegemite, noodles, chappati, oats, yam, sweet potato
- Fruits and vegetables
- Cooking methods eg baking, boiling, grilling, stewing and steaming
Need more advice?